Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 8 of 108



You will not believe. 
I am trying to work out a new lifestyle this year. The plan is to order bigger seasonal fruits in bulk (like oranges, melon, cucumbers, etc.) & to grow my own micro greens & lettuces, edible flowers, bulb veggies, tomatoes & peppers throughout the year. No more big shopping trips (& bills) & complex meals made at home. I've had this idea for the past month or so, & I already canceled my membership to my food coop (that I was a member of for 10 years!) 2 weeks ago. I felt like if I had it while I was creating this switch, I would never switch! Anyway, today I spoke to a local grocer (who I know from the neighborhood) & he said that he would order whatever fruits I needed by the case & would tell me what is good & what is in season. He also said that he would not charge me more than what the growers are charging him. (-What? Really?) I know how much it costs wholesale, cause I looked into it. He also confirmed it & showed my his paperwork from the distributer. I ordered 3 cases today; grapefruits, tangelos & tangerines. My fingers are crossed that this works out. Either way I'm happy about it. If he really gives me a wholesale price (& he knows I will be buying weekly/monthly) that would be a miracle, & if he charges me a bit more, that would be a blessing too! He said that he just wants to help me out & that it is no trouble for him. Wow. OK. I'm just happy to have a local person working with me on this new plan. (One block form my house, my coop was a 30 minute walk! This is a huge difference for someone with no car that buys loads of heavy fruit.) It makes me feel like if you really want to make a change, the universe supports you. But you have to make the first step. Amazing.
:)

2 comments:

Rawkstar said...

That is a sweet deal! I might have to check that out and see if I can get a similar deal.

Shayla said...

Yo chica! Great to hear of the deals you are scoring on produce. I been out of pocket for a while, hit some rough patches. But hopefully getting my bearings back and plan to tweet & blog again using the fresh start of the new moon in Aquarius tomorrow :)

Blog directory