Sunday, May 24, 2009

14 Day Cleanse -Day 13 & 14, plus Friday & Saturday


Believe it or not, I finished the cleanse even though I was vacationing with a friend. The 13th and 14th were all fruit days (except for a tiny bit of dressing I dipped some cucumbers in on Thursday night). It wasn't hard at all. My friend was really supportive of my eating whole fruits instead of going out or eating something 'fancy' at home. I ate plain fruits next to them while they ate bread, cooked veggies and salads. It was fine. 

Wednesday [day 13]
1.5 liters of water
Bananas
Apples
Mangos
Oranges
Tomatoes & cucumbers

Thursday [day 14]
1.5 liters of water
16oz of fresh mixed vegetable juice
Mixed melon salad
Papaya & mango
Strawberries & banana
Tomato & cucumbers with a little dressing

Then on Friday and Saturday I took the day off (of low-fat raw vegan) and ate whatever I wanted. 

Friday [regular day]
2.5 liters of water
Mangos
Salad bar at Life Thyme (veggie salad w/lots of dressing!)
Cherry tomatoes 

Saturday [regular day] <--I went all out Crazy!
3 liters of water
Orange juice
Salad bar at Life Thyme (veggie salad w/lots of dressing)
Vegan dessert at Life Thyme (vanilla cake)
Coffee with soymilk at Think Coffee
Veggie soup at Think Coffee

OK, so the scoop is, after I ate whatever I wanted (like processed raw foods, cooked veggies or dressings on salads) I felt horrible. I had a headache that night and felt tired all day. In the morning on Sunday I woke up with swollen hands and I was a little 'out of it'. Puffy eyes, needing more sleep, dragging my feet as I walked. I had a bad taste in my mouth and felt like my whole system was running slow. After that I was dying to go back to only fruits! I know that it's bad to jump from one extreme to the other. To be disciplined for two weeks and then spoil it all by eating whatever you want. Maybe it does more harm on my system than good. BUT the good news is, each time I do something like this I gain new insights or habits that stay with me for life. I remember how many times I said, "Eat raw for three days, just for three days, after that you can eat whatever you want". I gradually learned the benefits of raw foods first hand and through time I ended up craving it. Now it's pretty easy to eat raw foods everyday. I feel the same way about eliminating processed raw foods and unnecessary fats. I've tried it for a period of time and I know how good it feels. The challenge is I have to break old habits like salads with dressing (that are salty & fatty). I'm just going to keep playing this 'food challenge' game with myself until it's so fun & feels so good I forgot I was playing. I'm going to continue eating mostly fruits everyday for the rest of the year. Why? Because it feels amazing.

No comments:

Blog directory